Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK day

Martin Luther King Jr. day was a lot of fun here at CHAT. To honor his work we decided to do a little community service. With about 80 kids and volunteers we went on a competitive trash pick-up around the neighborhood. Ny'ajah, Dink, Destiny, Dashawna, Chauncey and I were able to fill about two large trash bags halfway in the hour we spent looking for trash. I was elated that picking up trash could be so fun. Starting out every piece of trash got counted and enthusiastically thrown into a bag, but within the first few blocks as the count got into the 100's the energy level went down. As with most things in life, the thrill of doing something new  wore off, and by the time we returned I noticed that my whole group would walk past a piece of trash before I would stop to pick it up. Although my group only filled 1-2 bags I was impressed by a group of our high schoolers who were able to fill eleven  trash bags full! I like to think that age and time spent focusing on a task are directly correlated so that I can blame my groups performance on their age and not my leadership.  Either way altogether we collected about 20 bags of trash from the streets.

To reward their hard work we had a little fun as well. We took the whole group to Roller Dome skating rink and then to CiCi's Pizza. Skating was a blast, especially trying to get the youngest kids to let go of the railing and try skating on their own.

I feel sorry for CiCi's Pizza (an all you can eat pizza place) Showing up with 80 people was probably the last thing the employees wanted to see. I can't be sure but if they decide to change their Kids-eat-Free on Monday  night special I can't blame them.

I hope everyone had a great MLK Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment